A methodological approach has to be followed for the implementation of any project to avoid any delay or confusion in later phases. The steps to be followed for a project are:
- Design Development
- Tender and Contract Awarding
- Execution Stage
- Commercial Closure of the Project
Design development has to be done in accordance with the standard layouts i.e. defining each zone separately but remaining essentially inter related to each other. Specifications and details should conform to the tenets provided in this manual.
After the design is developed, contractors can be called upon for quotations. Contract awarding should be done to contractors already on panel so as to save time and ensure quality.
After awarding the contract the execution on site as well as off the site should be started. Before starting the execution, the following points should be taken care of:
- Possession of site
- If it is a mall, work permission is required
- Scope of landlord as well as the mall
- Electrical Load permissible/ required
- Services e.g. A/C, plumbing etc.
At the time of handover, all the quality checks as well as item check should be done. A checklist is attached in the standard manual, which should be referred individually for every new project before starting as well as at the time of handover.
After the store handover is done to the Operations team, a complete documentation as well as quantity and quality check should be done properly. All the data should be maintained in written format for future reference.
After the checking has been done, bills should be processed accordingly.
In addition, the following should be taken care of:
- Check List for Oxford Bookstore
- Master List of Electrical Items/Fittings
- Master List for Pantry/Kitchen
- Master List for Oxford Bookstore Signage
- Master List for Cha Bar Signage
- Quality check and assurance is a must from the contractor.
- Procurement of long lead items should be sourced and ordered first.
- A pest control treatment is must for the entire store as the major storage of books is there.
- Before awarding the contract, a reference check of the vendor should be done properly including the financial aspects.
- If some items are to be transferred from distant locations, the logistics should be planned keeping in mind the mode of transportation, weather conditions and requirements on the site.
- For imported items local sourcing / local vendors to be developed.
- For indigenous items – like lamps, the company on the basis of corporate deal can supply fittings, tiles etc. to the contractor from the manufacturers.
- Bulk purchase/ bulk order will save the cost.
- A good professional relation as well as team spirit is required for the projects to be delivered.